September 16, 2004
Metro Pole ?
I recently took a ride on Copenhagens Underground (It’s called The Metro in Danish) and even though it currently only connects 17 stations it’s rather impressive and it made me think of my city as a true metro pole. So I thought of some argumentation that Copenhagen actually had become a metro pole.
1. The Underground obviously
2. The City is finally becoming multi-ethnic and slowly adapting the international atmosphere that is needed if we want to attract clever minds from all over the world
3. We have big events coming – The European MTV Awards are probably coming to Copenhagen in 2006, in 2005 we will have the celebration of Hans Christian Andersen 100 years birthday
4. The city is growing and new hotels and conference facilities are popping up all the time
5. It’s becoming a centre for creativity
Architecture – The new architectural firm PLOT just bested Frank Gehry, Daniel Liebeskind and others at the Biennale in Venice and revitalized our proud traditions from the likes of e.g. Jørn Utzon, Henning Larsen, and Arne Jacobsen
Film – with the foundation of the “Dogme” movement Lars Von Trier and his fellow Danish filmmakers are continuously doing great films with good ticket sales all over Europe.
Games – IO Interactive in the front with their international blockbusters Hitman 1 & 2 and Freedom/ Soldiers of Liberty. Denmark are about to become an important “player” in the fast growing game-market.
Design – we have a proud tradition all the way back from the fifties modernists with Arne Jacobsen, Poul Kjærholm, Hans Wegner Verner Panton. Now we have lots of new names emerging.
Fashion - Copenhagen have with a lot of new exiting designers become the third or fourth largest Fashion week in the world.
Only in advertising Copenhagen seems to be lacking behind we don’t have any substantial international assignments not even the international Danish brands like Carlsberg., Lego, B&O & Ecco or even any Scandinavian accounts like SAAB, Volvo, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Absolut & Ikea. With the advertisng we do we don’t even seem to get any critical acclaim at the awards shows.